For most couples physical cheating in a relationship is an obvious deal breaker, but have you ever considered the repercussions of emotional cheating? Emotional infidelity is just as big of a threat to your marriage but is, for some reason, more widely accepted.
Many emotional affairs start innocently at work with the person in the cubicle next to yours. They are your friend and really help to make those longs hours pass more quickly. Of course, having friends is perfectly fine and isn't always inappropriate even if you are attracted to them. In fact, many people in happy marriages are occasionally attracted to someone other than their spouse. So then, how do you know if you are having an emotional affair?
Here are several warning signs of an emotional affair:
- You confide in this person and share frustrations about your relationship
- You'd feel guilty if your spouse saw you with this person
- You find yourself not being fully honest with your spouse about how much you talk to this person in person or via text/e-mail
- You dress up for this person
- You contact them outside of "friendship hours" (If you are talking on evenings and weekends they are no longer just "work friends")