This morning David woke up around 7 am ready to start the day. Unfortunately, Dad was still pretty sleepy since Sundays are one of his only days off. So we let him sleep in and we got started on all the great Father's Day stuff we had planned.
Step One was to make dad a card. As it turns out, David is still a little young for this activity!
When he got mad at me for stopping him from eating the markers, we decided it was probably best to move on to Step Two: Breakfast.
Banana Bread French Toast with Homemade Caramel Syrup!
I hope you all are as excited about this as I am! One winter when I was a server at IHOP, they came out with Banana Bread French Toast. I was in love! It was the most delicious thing ever! (now they have something called Bananas Foster, but I don't really understand what that is or if it's as good...)
I decided to top the french toast with my all time favorite syrup, which is a copycat recipe for Kneader's Caramel Syrup and it was definitely a hit! Scott loved it (almost as much as I did)!
Banana Bread French Toast:
- 8 thick slices of banana bread (you can definitely buy this premade, I made it the night before with a box mix)
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs butter (for coating the griddle only)
- 1 banana, sliced (for topping)
- Mix eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla in shallow bowl.
- Melt butter on a hot griddle
- Dip slices of banana bread one at a time in egg mixture
- Shake excess egg mixture off bread, and then place on hot griddle
- Cook on all sides until lightly browned
- Serve with banana slices and whipped cream
Serving size: 1 slice, makes 8 slices
Macros per serving: 5.7 g fat, 35.1 g carbs, 5.3 g protein
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup light Karo (corn) syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Put all ingredients directly into a small saucepan on medium heat stirring occasionally until smooth and caramel in color.
Serving size: 1 tablespoon
Macros per serving: .8 g fat, 7.9 g carbs, .1 g protein
I hope you enjoy this super simple & delicious recipe!! Let me know how it turned out! Happy Father's Day!
David loved it too!!