Because I work practically everyday, yesterday was our only day off together as a family & so we needed to make the most of it.
To me honest, most of our days off are spent relaxing in front of the tv and I hate it. It is summer. Sitting on the couch for 12 hours is such a waste of a beautiful day! And I know, my little one year old hates it. After all, there are only so many times he can run around our coffee table before he gets bored.
Yesterday we changed that terrible pattern.
Here are 6 things you can do to make the most of your day off:
The key to making the most of your day off is to get out of the house, because, honestly, if you are inside all day your day off starts to blend in with the rest of the week and is over way too fast. So if I could offer you any advice, do your best to get outside!
These are not the only things you can do, but they are just some of our go tos.
1. have a park day
- Obviously if you have young children, this is a winner, but even if you don't you can still enjoy yourself. There are tons of things to do at the park:
- feed the ducks
- take a walk/jog
- play football, ultimate Frisbee, barefoot soccer, volleyball, badminton, the list goes on
- have a water balloon fight
- blow bubbles (David loves this)
- play water volleyball (we saw some people doing this yesterday, looks fun!)
- have a picnic (we typically will just order take out & eat it here)
2. go on a hike
- This is something that I'm rarely in the mood for until we get out there. It ends up being a great way to spend the day.
- Tip: pick a hike with a cool end point (waterfall, lake, camp ground/fire pit to roast marshmallows)
3. go to the pool
- Always fun for adults & kids. If you don't have a pool, find a nearby aquatic center, most cities have one and they're usually pretty fairly priced.
- Here are some fun things for the pool:
- read a book while tanning (my favorite, sooo relaxing)
- play marco polo
- (if your kids are a little older) when I was like 9 or 10, my friends & I loved getting tons of intertubes and bouncing in them while in the water. It created waves making it like a mini wave pool.
- have a jumping/diving competition
- barbecue some burgers/steaks
4. order food from a new restaurant
- Sometimes we don't just need a day off from work, but also from normal day to day activities. This is why take out on a day off is so nice.
5. go to a family fun center
- Even if you don't have kids, riding bumper cars and playing mini golf is always fun.
6. take a nap
- I know this one isn't necessarily outdoors, but I had to add it to the list. A good nap on your day off is sometimes, just what the doctor ordered.
I hope you all enjoy your day off! Let me know some of the things you do to relax in the comments below =)