Reading to you children is not only a great bonding experience, but recent studies have shown that it can also help a child master a language more quickly than just conversation alone.
Here are 5 benefits to having regular story time:
- The more frequently baby hears sounds, the faster he becomes at processing them & recognizing that different sounds have different meanings (which is the foundation of speech & comprehension).
- He will more easily be able to sound out unfamiliar words in grade school.
- It will expand vocabulary more than just talking with him will because books can introduce kids to subjects that are out of their direct environment and therefore not part of daily conversation (think books about dinosaurs, outer space, etc).
- Reading the same books repeatedly can help a child develop logic skills by helping him to notice patterns & sequences and better predict what will happen next. It also reinforces phonetic sounds.
- Associating reading with emotional warmth and fun can actually lower stress & cortisol levels, helping him concentrate better (and develop a lifelong love for reading).