For most couples physical cheating in a relationship is an obvious deal breaker, but have you ever considered the repercussions of emotional cheating? Emotional infidelity is just as big of a threat to your marriage but is, for some reason, more widely accepted.
Here are several warning signs of an emotional affair:
- You confide in this person and share frustrations about your relationship
- You’d feel guilty if your spouse saw you with this person
- You find yourself not being fully honest with your spouse about how much you talk to this person in person or via text/e-mail
- You dress up for this person
- You contact them outside of “friendship hours” (If you are talking on evenings and weekends they are no longer just “work friends”)
Crossing the line into an inappropriate relationship is not always a conscious decision. It can sneak up on you. According to MSNBC “about half of such emotional involvements do eventually turn into full-blow affairs, sex and all.” Make sure you are aware of these warning signs to keep yourself in check and protect your marriage.