These pregnancy cravings have me all over the place. Sometimes it’s spicy foods, sometimes it’s sweet foods, today it’s Caramel Empanadas (empanadas de cajeta). I thought this would be an appropriate post with all the holidays coming up.
These are great for holiday parties. I typically only make them during the holiday season because they make so many. This would be especially great if you are attending any Day of the Dead festivities in a couple weeks.
These are deceptively easy to make and will have all your friends impressed at your knowledge of traditional foods from other cultures!
- 1 package cream cheese (8oz)
- 2 pounds flour
- 1 can La Lechera brand Dulce de Leche
- 1 pound butter, unsalted (softened)
- 2 egg yolks
- cinnamon sugar to coat
- Beat butter & cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add flour to butter/cream cheese mixture.
- Once mixed, knead dough (masa) with hands for 5 minutes.
- Roll into small balls (golf ball size-masa should make about 5 dozen), set aside.
- For filling: mix 1 can Dulce de Leche with 2 egg yolks [this keeps filling from leaking out of empanadas].
- Using a Tortilla Press or rolling pin, flatten ball into a circle slightly larger than the palm of your hand.
- Once flattened, add about 1 spoonful Dulce de Leche (caramel) mixture to center.
- Fold circle in half.
- Gently press edges of semi circle together with your fingertips.
- To seal the empanadas, starting at one corner, use your fingers to fold the edge over about a half inch at a time, allowing folds to overlap until you reach the other side. [If I didn’t explain this step well enough, here is a great youtube video that demostrates how to seal them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHByEMavG7U]
- Bake at 350* for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven and toss in cinnamon sugar
- any canned pie filling (using the fruit only, none of the syrup it sits in)
- for pumpkin: 15 oz pureed pumpkin, 1 egg yolk, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 tbs cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground anise