If you didn't catch my pregnancy update, we are having a girl!! It really is so perfect because now we have one of each! And, honestly, I was having a hard time believing we'd get another little boy as perfect as our David, so it worked out for the best!
Anyway, back to brunch!
I LOVE cooking!! Just LOVE it! And I have never cooked for my husband's family before (aside from like pumpkin bars or cookies) and so I really took this opportunity to make some of my favorites.
Our brunch menu included: Banana Bread French Toast with homemade Caramel Syrup, Twisty Bacon baked in the oven, Breakfast Casserole, Pumpkin Crepes with Nutella filling, and some Marshmallow Cream Cheese Fruit Dip for the strawberries & blueberries they brought with them (although, this would be great as a crepe filling as well).
Now while everyone raved about these dishes, the family favorite ended up being the homemade Coconut Syrup!
I had no clue they would love this syrup so much. But I am glad it is a favorite, because it is beyond simple to make! It is literally THREE ingredients!
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened)
- 1 cup cream of coconut (not coconut milk- found ours in the Hispanic foods section)
1. Pour shredded coconut into a small frying pan on medium heat. Stir continuously, until lightly toasted.
2. In a small saucepan, add toasted coconut, condensed milk, and cream of coconut.
3. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly for about 15 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into a blender/food processor and blend for about 10-15 seconds (this helps get more flavor from the coconut)
5. Run through strainer to remove most of the shredded coconut.
6. Serve warm.
Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Macros: 3 g fat, 5.33 g carbs, .85 g protein
Note: Syrup is a little thick. Didn't bother us, but you could add some coconut milk/coconut water if you would like it a little thinner. However, I have not tried it and I think it may lessen the flavor a tad.