I have mentioned before how much I love eating beans & eggs during pregnancy. My body just craves the extra protein & carbs. For me, it really just helps to fuel my body and helps me have a more productive day.
I used to be one of those people who could skip breakfast, but not anymore! Maybe it’s because I follow the IIFYM diet, or maybe it’s because someone told me it boosts your metabolism to eat in the morning, either way, this is a great meal to have. One fairly popular variation is called Huevos a la Mexicana.
Basically, it’s just Mexican style eggs. It uses onions, green (jalapeño) peppers, and tomatoes because those three colors make up the colors of the Mexican flag, thus it’s name. Super simple, super delicious especially if you serve it alongside some pinto beans & a couple corn tortillas!
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 tbs canola oil for cooking
- salt to taste
- Prep veggies
- Heat pan over medium high heat. Add oil.
- Sautee onions first until semi translucent
- Add pepper, cook for 30-45 seconds then add tomatoes
- Add eggs to frying pan (I pan scramble my eggs, you can scramble in a bowl beforehand if preferred)
- Stir mixture once about every 30 seconds until eggs are cooked through
- Add salt to taste
- Serve with 1/4 cup beans & 3 corn tortillas (optional)